The weather is warming up and its time to get outside! The DowntownDC Business Improvement District (BID) is hosting four summer event series throughout DowntownDC, and all events are free and open to the public.
From workout classes to outdoor movies, ping pong, gardening instruction, children’s story hour, farmers markets and more, DowntownDC has it all.
- Discover Chinatown Parks at 5th & Mass: This new programming series in Chinatown and Milian parks offers daily free activities created and hosted by the DowntownDC BID, the Mount Vernon Triangle Community Improvement District (MVT CID) and the Mayor’s Office on Asian and Pacific Islander Affairs (MOAPIA). Programming includes workouts from Crunch Fitness, outdoor movies, ping pong and the BID’s red tables and chairs will be available M-F for the public’s use.
- DowntownDC Summer Flicks with Shaolin Jazz presents Can I Kick It?: Every Tuesday in June at sunset, Freedom Plaza (13th & Pennsylvania) will be transformed into an outdoor movie theater featuring classic martial arts films mixed with a live original music soundtrack of hip-hop and soul by DJ 2 Tone Jones. Start your night at Boss Shepherd’s for Can I Kick It? Happy Hour or play a game of ping pong on Freedom Plaza. A limited number of stadium cushions will be provided by Zipcar and popcorn will be available, while supplies last, from Pret A Manger.
- DowntownDC Live!: This outdoor concert series returns to Franklin Park (13th & I) for its second season. The BID in partnership with the Department of Parks and Recreation are once again providing free lunchtime performances on Thursdays in June and July from 12:30-1:30pm.
- Jazz in Franklin Park: Wolf Trap returns this summer to bring you live outdoor jazz on June 2 and July 14 in Franklin Park. Enter to win tickets to an upcoming performance, compete with friends in a game of cornhole and take a photo with Wolfie to kick-start your weekend.
- Picnics in the Park: You bring your lunch, we’ll supply the blankets. Every Friday in Franklin Park we will offer red and white checked picnic blankets for you to use during your lunch break.
See below for select scheduling details and visit downtowndc.org/events for up-to-the-minute event information.
DISCOVER CHINATOWN PARKS AT 5TH & MASS (May-September)
Chinatown Park and Milian Park
6:30-7:30 pm: Movement Mondays with Crunch Fitness and Friends
10:30–11:30 am: Children’s Story Hour with DC Public Library
12-2 pm: Librarian in the Park with DCPL, outdoor coworking w/ free Wi-Fi, bike repair & activities
1-2 pm: Book Club in the Park with DC Public Library (May selection: David Byrne’s “Bicycle Diaries”)
1-2 pm: Workout Wednesdays with Crunch Fitness
8-9 am: Chinatown Park Start Fresh with Morning Tai Chi (except July 3)
12-2 pm: Lunchtime Ping Pong
6:30-7:30 pm: All Things Green Workshops with ACE Hardware; Basic Bike Maintenance with BicycleSPACE and Gearin’ Up Bicycles
7-8 am: DowntownDC Morning Run Club with Potomac River Running
12-2 pm: Lunchtime Ping Pong
10am-2pm: FRESHFARM Mount Vernon Triangle Market
Visit downtowndc.org/events for Discover Chinatown Parks schedule June through September.
DOWNTOWNDC SUMMER FLICKS PRESENTS CAN I KICK IT?
June 6, 7:30: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (PG-13)
June 13, 7:30: The Matrix (R)
June 20, 7:30: The Last Dragon (PG-13)
June 27, 7:30: Big Trouble in Little China (PG-13)
June 1, 12:30-1:30pm: D.C. Music Download featuring Nag Champa
June 8, 12:30-1:30: 202Creates featuring Den-Mate
June 15, 12:30-1:30pm: DC Jazz Festival featuring JoGo Project
June 22, 12:30-1:30pm: DC Public Library featuring Mock Identity
June 29, 12:30-1:30pm: Washington Performing Arts featuring José Andrés
July 6, 12:30-1:30pm: Capital Fringe featuring Akua Allrich
July 13, 12:30-1:30pm: Capital Fringe featuring Tarus Mateen
July 20, 12:30-1:30pm: DC Public Library featuring Jenna Camille
July 27 12-2pm: D.C. Music Download featuring Black Alley
Jazz in Franklin Park with Wolf Trap
June 2, 12-2pm
July 14, 12-2pm
PICNICS IN THE PARK
Fridays 12-2pm: June-September