Thurs. May 30, 2019
WASHINGTON, DC – “Discover Chinatown Parks” is back for a third season this summer, bringing free Friday night block parties and movie nights, tai-chi, a weekly FRESHFARM market, children’s story hour and more; all provided through a unique partnership between the DowntownDC Business Improvement District (BID), the Mount Vernon Triangle Community Improvement District (MVT CID) and the Mayor’s Office on Asian and Pacific Islander Affairs (MOAPIA).
“We are thrilled to be bringing back our entire Chinatown Park Block Party season to Chinatown Park this summer and work with our partners to offer over 52 family-friendly events all summer long,” said DowntownDC BID President and CEO Neil Albert. “When we invest in public programming, all of our shared communities benefit.”
“We’re pleased to partner to once again to bring a diverse and engaging programming line-up to our growing downtown community,” said MVT CID President and CEO Kenyattah Robinson.“Community is fostered when we create opportunities for neighbors to gather, connect and engage, and Discover Chinatown Parks helps us to do just that.”
Chinatown Park and Milian Park are U.S. National Park Service reservations located at the intersection of the Mount Vernon CID and DowntownDC BID at 5th Street & Massachusetts Avenue NW.
Program partners include DC Public Library, Words Beats & Life, FRESHFARM Markets, On Tap Media and DC Fray, DC Department of Parks and Recreation, DC Metropolitan Police Department and Chinese Community Church.
“Chinatown Parks provide an important gathering place for our communities and the neighborhood,” said Director Ben de Guzman of the Mayor’s Office on Asian and Pacific Islander Affairs. “Through our continued partnership, we are proud to offer a variety of fun, exciting, and culturally aware programming for District residents throughout the summer.”
Programming Highlights Include:
- TUNES IN THE TRIANGLE – Thursdays, May 30, June 13 and 27 and Sept. 5 from 6-8pmrelax in Milian Park with live music. Special performance to be held on Tuesday, August 6 in conjunction with National Night Out.
- FRESHFARM MOUNT VERNON TRIANGLE MARKET – Saturdays, May 4 to November 16 from 9am-1pm shop for certified organic produce, orchard fruit, grass-fed meats, pastured eggs, jams, ciders, baked goods, flowers and more.
- FITNESS SESSIONS IN THE PARK – Mondays, June 3, 10, 17 and 24 from 6:30-7:30pm get your blood flowing with a nighttime workout led by OrangeTheory Fitness (HIIT Workout) or Jordin’s Paradise (Doonya)
- CHILDREN’S STORY HOUR WITH DC PUBLIC LIBRARY – Tuesdays, June 4-July 30 from 10:30-11:30am. Join the DowntownDC BID and DC Public Library for for a free, interactive story hour in Chinatown Park. Recommended for ages 5 and under.
- MOAPIA HOSTS MORNING TAI CHI CLASSES – Saturdays, June 1, 8, 22 and 29 from 10-11am relax your spirits with the traditional Chinese martial art of Tai Chi, widely recognized for its many health and wellness benefits.
- MOAPIA CHINATOWN COMMUNITY FESTIVAL – Saturday, June 15, from 11am – 2pmexperience the tastes, sounds and sights of Asian & Pacific Islander cultures with live performances, face painting, food samples and fitness demonstrations.
- CHINATOWN PARK BLOCK PARTY – Fridays, July 12 – August 16 from 5-8pm, kickoff the weekend with a family-friendly block party complete with double dutch, live performances, lawn games, graffiti art and more! Programming provided by Words, Beats & Life.
- CHINATOWN PARK MOVIE NIGHTS – Fridays, August 23, 30 and September 6 and 13 from 7-10pm enjoy movies with your family and friends as Chinatown Park transforms into an outdoor theatre. Films include: Swing Kids, Crazy Rich Asians and Monkey King 3.
For further details and inclement weather updates follow Discover Chinatown Parks on Facebook.