Who We Are
We are a team of passionate individuals with a mission of making DowntownDC a world-class destination. DowntownDC is located in the heart of Washington, D.C. and is the largest economic hub in the Washington region. The DowntownDC community is made up of a 138-block area that includes 526 commercial properties, 30+ hotels, 2000+ residential units, 12 museums, 7 metro rail stations, 7 performance venues, the Capitol One Arena, the Walter E. Washington Convention Center, a Day Services Center serving individuals experiencing homelessness and so much more.
The DowntownDC BID is looking for Full-Time or Part-Time Safety & Maintenance Ambassadors (SAMs). The Safety & Maintenance Ambassadors are expected to greet and welcome visitors to Downtown DC areas, and parks and provide guests with services and relevant information when appropriate. They will also serve as “eyes and ears” and help ensure a safer, hospitable, more orderly environment. and a welcoming environment in Downtown DC.
On a daily or weekly basis, DowntownDC BID Ambassadors may be assigned to focus on a particular geographic area. All DowntownDC BID Ambassadors are trained to perform successfully in a wide range of assignments.
Salary: From $16.10 to $20.00/hr.
The duties/responsibilities of the Maintenance Ambassador shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
A. Zone Cleaning
- Pick up litter and trash from sidewalks and curb lines, sweep the public space area, bag and collect trash for transport to the proper destination.
- Remain alert to physical defects in the assigned area, including lighting outages or malfunctions, broken/cracked sidewalks, potholes, etc., and report for follow-up.
- Utilize mechanical sweepers, vacuums, and other automated equipment to pick up trash, sweep and clean assigned areas. Utilize pressure washers and other special equipment to clean sidewalks and public areas.
- Maintain and clean assigned equipment and work areas.
- Remove and dispose of all debris including makeshift shelters.
- Provide patrons with accurate public transit, driving, and pedestrian route information, as requested. Immediately report suspicious circumstances or the need for emergency services.
- Remove and properly dispose of all sharps, illegal drugs, and paraphernalia.
- Safely remove & decontaminate all biohazards including feces, urine, vomit, blood, and spoiled food.
- Make structure repairs to masonry, woodwork and furnishings, patch or replace plaster, paint walls, ceilings, and trim.
- Assess and respond to staff and homeless encampment resident safety concerns as they arise and engage with law enforcement and public health representatives as appropriate
- Hang banners and flower baskets. Including plant flowers, landscape, and provide tree maintenance in public space.
- Troubleshoot, repair, and maintain various equipment such as electrical systems, mechanical equipment, starters, pumps, fans, generators, plumbing, and drains, etc.
- Report daily to the Maintenance Services Manager on maintenance requests, conditions and areas of concern for the DowntownDC BID.
- Provide exceptional customer service in a courteous and professional manner to all Downtown DC visitors and stakeholders.
- Serve as a knowledgeable resource about events, happenings and resources in Downtown D.C.
D. Events & Programs
- Complete projects, tasks and assignments with a sense of urgency when necessary.
- Assist with set up, break down and cleaning of function areas for BID events. This includes any structural components and equipment in the BID area and returning them to their proper storage areas.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Certification/Knowledge on alcohol and other drug abuse prevention is preferred.
- Drivers License preferred.
- May be required to work nights, evenings, weekends, and/or holidays.
- Familiarity with Downtown D.C. sites, attractions, the Washington, D.C. transit system, and major streets and highways preferred.
- Physical stamina required to perform duties outdoors up to eight hours daily, in all weather conditions. This is a standing and walking position and requires ability to lift full trash bags frequently.
- Ability to work a possibly rotating schedule that may include day shifts, evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Experience working with homeless individuals and people in crisis situations.
- Required to stand, walk, or bend for extended periods of time.
- Abide by codes of conduct with regard to hygiene, uniform, and a well-maintained appearance.
- Ability to perform job functions with attention to detail, speed, and accuracy with minimal supervision.
How to apply
To apply please email a copy of your resume and cover letter detailing your relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send documents in PDF format and the email with the subject line “SAMs Candidate-Your First Name and Last Name”; for example: SAMs Candidate-John Doe.
BID Employment Conditions
DowntownDC BID employees must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination by date of hire to be considered. Proof of vaccination required.
Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, the DowntownDC BID is committed to excellence through diversity; DowntownDC BID recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law. Please note that all new DowntownDC BID employees must have permission to work in the U.S.; therefore, employment eligibility verification is required.