Who we are:
DowntownDC BID is a private non-profit organization that provides capital improvements, resources and research that keep the DowntownDC BID area clean, safe, economically, and environmentally strong and accessible. The DowntownDC BID is a catalyst, facilitator and thought leader in diversifying the economy, promoting public/private partnerships, and enhancing the DowntownDC experience for all. This special district, where property owners have agreed to tax themselves to fund services, encompasses a 138-block area of approximately 520 properties from Massachusetts Avenue on the north to Constitution Avenue on the south, and from Louisiana Avenue on the east to 16th Street on the west.
The Part-Time (30 hours/week) Outreach Coordinator will work at the direction of the Director of Homeless Services to support the Homeless Services Department homeless outreach programs, activities and special projects. The coordinator will be the first point of contact for internal and external consumers seeking homeless services from the BID. The Outreach Coordinator will provide programmatic support to the Director of Homeless Services; perform lead assistance for coordination and cultivation of Homeless Outreach Program & Weekend Program; manage all aspects of Volunteer Groups to include recruitment, coordination of assignments and engagement; provide management of outreach operations; coordination of budgeting/accounting systems; assist with maintaining stakeholder outreach, engagement, administrative support and correspondence, and providing general support services for the Director.
Responsibilities by Functional Areas:
Assist the Director of Homeless services in all aspects of internal and external program implementation.
- Coordinate facilitation of all details to execute and manage the Homeless Outreach Program (See specific outreach duties below).
- Coordinate facilitation of all details to execute and manage the Weekend Program.
- Develop and cultivate a DDSC Volunteer Ambassador program
- Coordinate and oversee execution of the Outreach Contractor and Monthly Count contractor.
- Represent the Department in inter-departmental meetings to support and facilitate communication and action between departments as needed.
- Assist Director with maintaining and updating administrative policies and processes.
- Set up, maintain, and organize department’s central files, information, filing, and messages.
- Prepare internal bill-backs and documents for events supported by the Facilities organization.
- Provide administrative support to the Director and Facilities team.
- Performs a variety of administrative work associated with Stakeholder engagement, special projects, processes of correspondence and special documents; ensures the accuracy and completeness of such documents.
Specific Outreach Duties are:
a. Territory Coverage Work
- Oversee, manage and respond to all Homeless Services Dispatch requests via email, phone or in-person visits.
- Execute an on-the-ground coverage schedule to visit encampments and homeless individuals to include weekends as needed.
- Schedule targeted visits to encampments to oversee distribution of toiletries, hygiene kits, ponchos, first aid items, and other seasonal resources as needed.
b. Connections and Referrals
- Develop relationships with homeless clients via regular and consistent contact.
- Execute verbal referrals of clients to Downtown Day Services Center with the goal of helping individuals move from unsheltered to sheltered.
- ·Accompany clients to Downtown Day Services Center, as needed, to obtain services.
c. Tracking and Reporting
- Provide daily recording and tracking of on-the-ground field work via MS Excel Spreadsheet and the Center’s internal data collection system. Training of Center’s system will be provided.
- Submit monthly outreach reports, annual summary of progress, and other reports if requested by the Director of Homeless Services.
d. Administrative Support
- Participate in the Downtown Day Services Center activities, including, but not limited to, the following:
- Weekly Check-In meetings
- Monthly Homeless count & District of Columbia’s Point-In-Time Count
- Attend Stakeholder meetings as needed
- Assist with administering quarterly field surveys.
- High School Diploma and minimum 2 years of homeless outreach experience.
- Extensive use of computerized maintenance management systems.
- Demonstrated ability to work and communicate professionally, verbally, and in written form with internal and external customers.
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite of products including Excel, Outlook, Word, and PowerPoint
- Maintenance management software.
- Demonstrated customer service excellence.
Demonstrated ability in the following areas:
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team environment.
- Responsibility for follow-up on actions based on various team projects.
- High organization skills in managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to perform and manage technically complex projects using independent judgment and personal initiative.
- Build strong internal and external relationships using effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Recognize and act on opportunities; adjust direction when situation warrants.
- Work independently without regular direct supervision.
- Must be a provider of excellent customer service.
How to apply:
Applications must be received by November 11th, 2022, to ensure maximum consideration. To apply please email a copy of your resume and cover letter detailing your relevant experience to email@example.com.
Please send documents in PDF format and the email with the subject line “Outreach Coordinator -Your First Name and Last Name”; for example: Outreach Coordinator-John Doe.
Submissions without requested items may not receive full consideration. References will be requested of candidates who receive further consideration. Due to the volume of applications, we receive, we are unable to respond to queries about application status and will only reach out to candidates we pursue further. Employment offers are conditional upon a successful criminal background check and screening for illegal substances.
BID Employment Conditions:
DowntownDC BID employees must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination by the date of the hire to be considered. Proof of vaccination is required.
Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity:
As an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer, DowntownDC is committed to excellence through diversity; DowntownDC BID recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law. Please note that all new DowntownDC BID employees must have permission to work in the U.S.; therefore, employment eligibility verification is requi