Who we are:
We are a team of passionate individuals with a mission of making DowntownDC a world-class destination. DowntownDC is located in the heart of Washington, D.C. and is the largest economic hub in the Washington region. The DowntownDC community is made up of a 138-block area that includes 526 commercial properties, 30+ hotels, 2000+ residential units, 12 museums, 7 metro rail stations, 7 performance venues, the Capitol One Arena, the Walter E. Washington Convention Center, a Day Services Center serving individuals experiencing homelessness and so much more.
The DowntownDC BID is looking for friendly people with high energy and upbeat attitudes to serve as Maintenance Ambassadors in Franklin Park, a newly renovated 5-acre park in the center of DowntownDC. Maintenance Ambassadors must be passionate about delivering exceptional service, take pride in their work, and be self-driven. Interested candidates should be enthusiastic about serving and engaging others, must embrace diversity and be comfortable talking with people from all walks of life, and must be committed to creating and maintaining clean, safe, and vibrant public spaces for all to enjoy.
Maintenance Ambassadors will be responsible for keeping Franklin Park at the highest standard of cleanliness, beautifying the space, and ensuring that it operates seamlessly. Maintenance Ambassadors will routinely engage in tasks including the removal of litter, trash, graffiti and gum, power washing, painting, landscaping, plant, flower, and tree care, hanging banners, baskets, and décor, and supporting other enhancements to the physical environment in the park. Maintenance Ambassadors will also service and maintain all park systems including water features, fountains, the pump room; all park landscape features including lawns, trees, planting materials and irrigation systems; all hardscape elements including walkways, pavers, walls, buildings, and play equipment; all lighting and security systems; and all park assets including benches, railings, signage, handrails, etc. Maintenance Ambassadors will be responsible for ensuring that the on-site restrooms are kept in pristine condition and will frequently clean them throughout each day. Maintenance Ambassadors are expected to keep a watchful eye on all elements of the park, tending to and reporting all defects and hazards to management in real time.
In addition, Maintenance Ambassadors are expected to maintain a friendly and welcoming demeanor. They will be expected to greet and welcome park visitors and provide guests with services and relevant information when appropriate. They will also assist with planning, set-up, execution, and break-down/clean-up of park events and programs. They will also serve as “eyes and ears” to help keep the park safe and report any suspicious activity. The Maintenance Ambassador role is highly visible to the public. The right candidate will positively represent the DowntownDC BID on a consistent basis and go the extra mile to make our stakeholders feel welcome and safe when visiting Franklin Park.
This position is considered full-time (40 hours/week) with benefits that include medical, dental, and vision care, as well as a retirement contribution program. This position reports directly to the Franklin Park Manager through assignment to designated shift supervisors. This position is considered non-exempt and is overtime eligible.
The duties/responsibilities of the Hospitality Ambassador shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Remove trash and litter from all areas of the park and its surrounding sidewalks and curb lines. Bag and collect trash for transport.
- Sweep, clean, and wash all areas of the park, including the restrooms, children’s play area, and all other spaces within the park and around its perimeter.
- Frequently clean and sanitize the restrooms to always keep them in pristine condition.
- Remove graffiti, gum, and stickers from the public realm.
- Remain alert, address and report to management, physical defects in the park, including malfunctioning lights, broken/cracked sidewalks, potholes, etc.
- Utilize automated equipment such as pressure washers to clean and maintain walkways, sidewalks, public assets, and other areas of the park. Maintain and clean assigned equipment and work areas.
- Paint light poles, benches, and other public amenities throughout the park as well as hang flower baskets, banners, and other decor.
- Engage in landscaping activities including, but not limited to, planting and watering flowers, shrubs, trees, and other plants, maintaining trees, operating/maintaining irrigation systems, mowing, edging, and fertilizing lawns, weeding, and mulching landscape beds, trimming trees, hedges, and shrubs, removing unwanted, dead, or damaged trees, and monitoring and maintaining plant health.
- Clean and clear all storm drains and strainer baskets daily.
- Perform daily maintenance in the pump room and with respect to the fountain and interactive water feature to keep them functional and up to standards set by city law, including adding chemicals and measuring pH levels (pool operator training and certification will be provided).
- Always keep a watchful eye on the park and routinely monitor for suspicious/illegal activity and potential safety hazards. Coordinate with the management team and local public safety authorities to track and report any suspicious/illegal activity in real time.
- Provide exceptional customer service in a courteous and professional manner to all park visitors and stakeholders.
- Provide on-site support with planning, set-up, execution, and break down/clean-up of all park events. Support may also include taking event photos, engaging with guests, relaying vendor feedback, and responding to emergency requests as needed.
- Communicate frequently with colleagues, Park Manager, Director of Public Space Operations, Events Lead, retail space operator, and others to report on daily happenings and share areas of concern.
- Implement safety practices in accordance with the latest local, state, and federal guidance, including the daily set up and maintenance of public sanitizer stations and the sanitization of frequently touched surfaces and materials (includes frequently wiping down tables, chairs, benches, and other park assets).
- Provide daily assistance with setting up and breaking down park spaces including, but not limited to, setting out and folding up tables and chairs, folding blankets, and collecting and storing supplies and equipment.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the duties of this position include:
- Possession of a valid, state-issued driver’s license and a clean driving record is strongly preferred. Applicants with a valid, state-issued driver’s license and clean record will be given preference.
- High School Diploma/GED or higher is preferred, but not required.
- Physical stamina required to perform duties outdoors for a minimum of eight (8) hours daily for at least five (5) days per week, in all weather conditions. This position will require frequent walking and standing and requires the ability to lift at least 35-50 pounds on a regular basis. Must be able to stand, walk, bend, kneel, lift, grasp, twist, and stretch.
- Ability to perform job functions with attention to detail, speed, and accuracy with minimal supervision.
- Must possess good interpersonal skills, demonstrate a consistent willingness and ability to appropriately engage with a diverse range of DowntownDC stakeholders, and maintain a friendly, professional demeanor at all times. Must be professional in appearance, manner, and communication style.
- Possession of basic verbal English communication skills is required.
- Ability to work weekends, evenings, and holidays is required. Employees are generally assigned a regular work schedule that will include at least one workday on a Saturday or Sunday. Shifts typically last for 8.5 hours (including an unpaid 30-minute lunch break) and begin at varying times throughout the day. Based on need and special events, employees may be required to work earlier or later than scheduled or on a non-scheduled weekend.
- Ability to work with and be in proximity to children under the age of 18.
- Ability to communicate effectively and use de-escalation techniques to resolve conflict.
- Familiarity with sites and attractions in DowntownDC and the general Washington, D.C. area is a plus.
- Knowledge of the Washington, D.C. area transit system (Metrorail, Metrobus, DC Circulator, etc.), micro-mobility services (bikeshare, scooters, etc.), and major streets, roads, highways, trails, and walking paths is a plus.
How to apply:
To apply please email a copy of your resume and cover letter detailing your relevant experience to email@example.com.
- Please send documents in PDF format.
- The email subject line should say: “Maintenance Ambassador – FirstName LastName”.
– For example: “Maintenance Ambassador – John Doe”
Submissions without requested items may not receive full consideration. References will be requested of candidates who receive further consideration. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to queries about application status and will only reach out to candidates we pursue further. Employment offers are conditional upon a successful criminal background check and screening for illegal substances.
Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity
As an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer, DowntownDC is committed to excellence through diversity; DowntownDC BID recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law. Please note that all new DowntownDC BID employees must have permission to work in the U.S.; therefore, employment eligibility verification is required.