“National Weather service reports the temperature is 87 degrees and the heat index has reached 99 degrees. Therefore, the hyperthermia alert has been activated.
You can take these steps to prevent heat-related illnesses, injuries, and deaths during hot weather:
- Stay in an air-conditioned indoor location as much as possible.
- Drink plenty of fluids even if you don’t feel thirsty.
- Wear loose, lightweight, light-colored clothing and sunscreen.
- Schedule outdoor activities carefully.
- Take cool showers or baths to cool down.
- Check on a friend or neighbor and have someone do the same for you.
- Do not leave children or pets in cars.
- Check the local news for health and safety updates.”
Also, the DowntownDC BID wants to remind everyone to keep an eye out for homeless individuals, who are vulnerable to hyperthermia. Read more about how to help the Homeless survive the heat. Visit AlertDC for the latest alerts.